Last week we covered vegan backpacking tips and tricks to optimize your outdoor performance. This week I present a sample 3-4 day minimalist vegan backpacking meal plan. Get your backpack ready, it has never been easier or more fun to be a vegan in the outdoors!
- Vega One, Vooluu, or other “complete shake” with hemp milk/water. Add in 1-2 tbsp. of hemp oil or flaxseed oil.
- Oatmeal (or overnight oats) with coconut oil/natural butter and hemp seeds
- Sprouted grain wrap with natural nut butter, hemp seeds and dehydrated fruit
- Buckwheat overnight groats with nut butter and hemp seeds
- Sprouted grain wrap with dehydrated refried beans, dehydrated veggies, cumin, garlic powder, sea salt and pepper.
- Sprouted grain wrap with dehydrated hummus, dehydrated veggies, sun-dried tomatoes, cashews, sea salt and pepper.
- Mashed Chickpea Salad Sandwich/Wrap (Chickpeas, sunflower seeds and smashed avocado with seasoning)
- Bombay Potatoes (Tasty Bite) with Brown Rice
- Vegan Tacos: Quinoa, avocado, dehydrated veggies, dehydrated refried beans and nutritional yeast served in a wrap.
- Vegan Burrito Bowl: Brown or wild rice, beans of choice, dehydrated veggies, seasoning of choice, salsa.
- Vegan Pasta – Koyo Organic Ramen noodles with pasta sauce (pasta sauce with nutritional yeast, veggies and olive oil blended in advance of trip)
- Curried Rice with Cashews –combine all ingredients in sealable bag pre-trip: rice of choice, curry powder, dried onion flakes, coconut sugar, veggie bouillon cube, garlic powder, turmeric and cashew halves. Eat out of bag or warm with a little water if available.
These are imperative to keep your energy up, blood sugar balanced and your body in good shape all day. Great examples include:
- Clean/limited ingredient energy bars or make your own!
- Sandwich/wrap filled with natural nut butter
- Half an avocado filled with hemp seeds
- Homemade trail mix or gorp (good old raisins and peanuts)
- Nuts (all varieties)
- Hemp Seeds (Manitoba Harvest sells small packs or you can also buy in bulk and bag)
- Sweet potato mashed with almond butter and vanilla plant protein powder
- Dates stuffed with peanut butter
Looking for some of the items mentioned in this article for your next vegan backpacking meal? Check out these websites.