The Alite Mayfly Chair is comfortable, versatile, and easy to pack and assemble. I’ve had the Mayfly since early spring and it has served as a belay chair at the crag, a standard camping chair, a lawn chair at a bluegrass show and even as extra seating around the house when we have guests. It’s great to take on any outing where you might be lounging, whether that be a walk to the park to throw the ball for the dog or to sit beside the lake and read a book, and because it packs so small you don’t even notice you’re taking it along.
The Mayfly is the embodiment of features from two other Alite chair designs and so can be set up as a super stable three-legged chair or as a rocking chair. The rocker is great for me, at least when I’m lounging, as I constantly lean back in my chairs and rock what ought not be rocked. I often opted for the rocking chair set up as I could leave the optional leg behind, which meant less weight to carry and quicker assembly.
The tent-pole style aluminum frame snaps together in no time. I was impressed that in under a minute the Mayfly had basically put itself together and was further pleased when the assembly got even faster with repetition. Alite even drew the assembly and disassembly instructions on the bag, though I doubt anyone will need them, so that there is no paper instruction booklet for the end user to throw away or pack around with them. Of course, nearly all fold up chairs will be ready for sitting in a shorter time but those monstrosities are much heavier and don’t pack up into a Nalgene sized bag like the Mayfly. The aluminum is of high-quality; ultralight but strong, and clips together flawlessly.
Each end of the frame fits snuggly into the corners of the nylon sling and there it is, ready for sitting.
- Fast and easy to assemble and disassemble
- Breaks down smaller than most camping chairs into an easily packable bag at 11.5 x 4.3 x 4.3 in
- Extremely waterproof. After several consecutive backyard simulated rain showers, the water continued to bead off the nylon and pool up in the seat. The Mayfly was ready for sitting after a couple good shakes. Any water that is absorbed dries quickly. Nice if you come back to your camp after a rain shower.
- Alite sells replacement slings for $30
- Lifetime Guarantee
- The removable front foot offers rocking chair capability and weight reduction
- Lacking such silly luxuries as cup holders and arm rests, the Mayfly allows for a wide range of movement; cooking, belaying, playing instruments. Anyone whose played the guitar around a camp fire has cursed an armrest or two over the years and will a appreciate this simple yet comfortable design
- The seat, though comfortable, sits a bit low at only 2 inches off the ground. I found that the Mayfly can bottom out in softer soil, sand and snow.
Whether your sitting around the campfire, preparing breakfast over a pocket rocket, jamming with friends, or enjoying a concert on a summer day, the Mayfly is a sure way to be comfortable, and as light and packable as it is there’s no reason to leave it at home.
Date available: Currently Available
Manufacturer’s Website: www.alitedesigns.com
Listed Weight: 1.4 lbs
Actual Weight: 1.4 lbs
Warranty info: In their own words,”ALITE is dedicated to crafting products that embody our superior standard of workmanship. All products are covered by a lifetime guarantee. We mean it.”