When it comes to camping and backpacking, I try to look for a sleeping pad that provides adequate insulation against the cold ground and the comfort necessary for a good night’s sleep. After testing the Alps Ultra-Light Air Pad this fall and winter in Wyoming I must say that I am impressed with its comfort, durability, and price.
- The Alps Ultra-Light Air Pad has a tapered shape, meaning that it is wider around the shoulders and hips than legs and feet. The purpose behind this is to reduce weight. Since I am used to a rectangular shaped sleeping pad I was not sure if I would like the tapered shape. However, I never even noticed the shape of the pad and did not miss the extra width.
- I like self-inflating air pads, but every once in a while they spring a leak. This pad has a sturdy exterior. It is durable while managing to retain its light weight. The exterior fabric is not cheap and flimsy. The pad comes with a patching kit too just in case.
- This pad retains its inflation all night long. I have used some pads that start off fully inflated and loose their air throughout the night. Each time I used this pad it was just as inflated when I woke up in the morning as it was when I went to sleep at night.
- When it comes to insulation, this pad is not my first choice for winter camping but it is my first choice for spring, summer and fall camping. It did a good job protecting me from the cold ground.
- The Alps Ultra-Light Pad inflates very quickly–just over a minute. As a mother this is important because it rapidly provides my toddler a dry place to sit and play while my husband and I set up camp.
- A regular sized Alps Ultra-Light Air Pad retails for $79.99. At this price I can easily outfit the whole family.
- The regular sized sleeping pad weighs 1 lb 8 oz, the long weighs 2 lbs 2 oz. I would not recommend this pad for an ultra-light hiker.
- While I love the durable fabric of this pad it is a little bit slippery and I found myself sliding off of the pad during the night.
- This pad is bulky, it does not pack up small and tight.
The Alps Ultra-Light Air Pad is a great choice for comfort, durability, insulation and value. For the recreational 3-season camper and backpacker the quality and price are unbeatable. I prefer this pad over the Therm-A-Rest pad that I have used (and loved) for years.
- Great for Fast Packing When Every Ounce Matters
- Ultra Lightweight Ripstop Fabrics
- Punched Out Foam for More Weight Saving
- Tapered Shape Reduces Weight & Packed Size
- Jet Stream Open Cell Foam
- Two Sizes Available
- Stuff Sack & Repair Kit Included
Manufacturer: Alps Mountaineering
Date available: Currently Available
Manufacturer’s Website: Ultra-Light Air Pad
MSRP: Regular $79.99 Long $89.99
Listed Weight: Regular 1 lb. 8 oz. Long 2 lbs. 2 oz.
Dimensions: Regular 20”x72”x1.5” Stuff Sack 5”x20” / Long 25”x77”x1.5” Stuff Sack 5.5”x25”
Warranty info: Lifetime warranty that protects against manufacturing defects and workmanship, not normal wear and tear.