Learn how hemp seeds can improve your performance and experience while trekking in the backcountry
As a backpacker, what you put in your body will either fuel you or fail you. A food that fuels you will keep your metabolism functioning efficiently, will offer you energy and repair from oxidative stress, remove waste and toxins and aid in the prevention of inflammation. It’s a given that food is crucial fuel needed to propel the body up that mountain, tackle those switchbacks and blaze those trails. We have control over what we pack in our backpacks, so choosing foods that keep our energy levels high, digests with ease, uses minimal energy to digest and keeps our blood sugar stabilized is key. Bring on the hemp seeds!
Hemp Up Your Backpack
Hemp seeds are becoming popular within sports nutrition research and with athletes looking to improve their recovery time and optimize performance due to hemp seeds’ nutrient-dense profile and because of how easy they are to digest and assimilate. The reasons to fuel with hemp seeds during your backcountry adventures are endless. They’re light to pack, easy to eat and a fun addition to include in every meal.
“Researchers claim that if no other food is consumed, hemp seeds could sustain a human life for a few months without causing nutrient deficiency problems.” (NaturalNews)
The Hype About Hemp Seeds
The hemp seed is one of the most ancient and most nutrient-dense foods in the world. Not only is hemp a nutritious and delicious ingredient that is easy to add to a wide variety of recipes, it’s also one of the most eco-friendly crops because it is naturally pest-resistant and grows fast and close together and, therefore, doesn’t require herbicides. This superseed has a sesame seed-like appearance with a soft texture and a nutty flavor similar to a sunflower seed.
These little superseeds have a macro and micro nutrient profile that’s wildly remarkable. They contain bioavailable complete protein (all essential amino acids), both soluble and insoluble fiber and provide an excellent plant source of omega 3 fatty acid. Furthermore, the ratio of Omega 3 to Omega 6 is ideally balanced. What does that mean for you? It will aid your body in managing inflammation, protecting your heart, supporting muscle growth and eliminating toxins. The little seeds also offer B Vitamins, Vitamin E, Iron, Magnesium and Zinc.
How To Eat Hemp Seeds On The Trail:
- Easy Access: Keep a bag of hemp seeds in the hip pocket of your hip belt for go-to fuel and nourishment.
- In Every Meal: Hemp seeds are easy to add to everything you eat – whether it’s in a wrap, in oatmeal, in a smoothie, in rice, etc. Be creative, have an open mind and enjoy! To get you started, here are some light, satisfying, nutrient-dense meals that digest easily to try next time you are out in the backcountry.
Hempy Cinnamon Quinoa – Serves 2
Can be prepared on the trail or packed and enjoyed cold.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups plant-milk of choice (or water)
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon (naturally regulates blood sugar)
- Stevia (sweeten to taste)
- ½ cup hemp seeds
- Cook quinoa with plant-based milk or water
- Add in hemp seeds, cinnamon and stevia
Backcountry Soup with Hemp Seeds – Serves 2-4
- Canned or packaged soup of choice (I recommend Imagine Brand Soups – their pumpkin and broccoli soups are both vegan)
- ½ cup hemp seeds
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- Pepper, cumin (natural anti-inflammatory)
- Heat up soup (at campsite or pack in food flask)
- Mix in cooked quinoa and hemp seeds
- Add cumin and pepper
Sprouted Dill Weed Wrap with Lentils, Avocado and Hemp Seeds – Serves 2
- 2 sprouted wheat wraps
- 1 avocado
- ½ cup hemp seeds
- ½ cup lentils
- Salt, pepper, dill weed (good sources of calcium)
- Cut avocado in half, mash up with spoon
- Add ½ cup hemp seeds and ½ cup lentils – stir and mix until well blended
- Add salt, pepper and dill weed – mix well
- Divide in half and fill each wrap
Cut an avocado in half and sprinkle each half with hemp seeds. Eat with a spoon and enjoy!
“By living a plant-based lifestyle and including hemp seeds in my daily diet, my performance, recovery, and energy levels are always at their highest. I am a strong believer that this lifestyle enhances health, physical performance, and mental clarity.” – Kristin Wuhrman (aka Miss Bellevue Vegan), Owner of BEVEGAN® Plant-Based Health Coaching and The 30-Day Hemp Challenge™
Join the Movement & Get Your Hemp On!
Take the pledge to practice healthy nutrition behavior changes by joining The 30-Day Hemp Challenge ™ lead by Kristin Wuhrman (aka Miss Bellevue Vegan), owner of BEVEGAN® Plant-Based Health Coaching and Authority of Hemp for Sport Nutrition with Hemp Out Agency. For one full month, you will be in a supportive environment that mentors you on how including hemp seeds and hemp oil in your daily diet can improve your health in many ways. You will have coaching support, leadership, motivation, tools and recipes to keep you on track! #30dayhempchallenge
Learn more by visiting: www.30dayhempseedchallenge.com