Packing for a 10 day camping trip for a family of four (with two children under age 4) can be tough. The kids have really small items (underwear, socks, diapers, mittens, hats, etc.) that tend to get lost easily, and more often than not, we have something wet we have to deal with (dirty clothes, wet swim suits, etc.) It was the perfect opportunity to put the Pack-It Specter Cube Set from Eagle Creek to the final test before publishing our review.
- Backpacking (because they are so light, weight isn’t an issue)
- Camping in general
- Any sort of travel where you are trying to stay organized
- Quick trips to the pool or lake
What we loved about them
- Three different sizes mean easily accommodating the different sizes of items. I stuffed the large size with all our swim suits and 2 camp towels, the medium one with enough socks to last the whole family for the week and the small one with gloves and hats for the kids.
- Their rip-stop design and fabric is incredible and means that you can REALLY pack them full without worrying about tearing anything.
- They keep moisture in and away from the rest of the gear in your pack. I could rest easy knowing that the cube stuffed with all our wet clothes from a swim that ended up in the middle of my bag wouldn’t contaminate everything else. While they aren’t going to keep in loads of water, damp items are A-Ok.
- You can see through them to easily find small items.
- All three sizes have a handle to carry them. Not something I would have even thought of, but it made it really easy to just grab the cube and head to our one shower of the week.
What I wasn’t so crazy about
- I could have used at least 3 more sets to pack for our family, and at $38 a set, that certainly adds up. However, it is cheaper to buy them as a set than individually ($17 for a full cube, $15 for a half cube and $13 for a quarter cube)
- One size bigger would be great for larger items like down jackets, vests, or extra clothing that you need to pack and keep dry in your pack.
The Pack-It Specter Cube Set is a great way to keep organized without dealing with any extra weight at all. I use ours weekly as we pack for adventures and find them especially useful for trips where I know we are going to get dirty. They are easy to keep clean (just wipe off) and dry incredibly quickly on their own. Two thumbs up from us!
- Manufacturer Website: www.eaglecreek.com
- $38 for 3 cubes
- Weigh less than 2.2 oz. cumulatively
- Available in three different colors (two of which are see-through)
- Full Cube: 14 x 10 x 3 inches
- Half Cube: 10 x 7 x 3 inches
- Quarter Cube: 7.5 x 4.5 x 2.5 inches