The SCOTT Euphorbia Anorak jacket is an amazingly comfortable, ultralight and breathable jacket that’s great for long, fast hikes where weight, protection from the elements, and freedom of movement are all considerations.
On a recent hike up to Yellow Aster Butte in the Mount Baker Wilderness I found that the Softshell Anorak fabric repelled water well while allowing enough airflow to keep me cool and dried super fast on top of that. I wore the jacket for the first quarter-mile up the trail and quickly removed it when it became saturated with sweat. But honestly, it was a little warm for extra layers, no matter how breathable. When we cleared the treeline and reached the snow, I was pleased to find that despite being rolled up into itself in my pack the jacket had completely dried. It acted as a windbreaker against the crisp mountain air as we snacked and was a comfortable flexible layer while scrambling around on some of the granite outcroppings beside snow-covered trail.
- Extremely packable. The jacket folds up into itself, not quite small enough to pack “into back pocket” as advertised, but you’ll hardly notice it in your daypack.
- Breathable and fast drying Stretch CORDURA® Naturalle™ fabric
- Great fit! I usually wear a small but the medium fit surprisingly well. The sleeves were a touch long but I suspect the small would have been perfect.
- Stylish and functional
- The color is a bit bright for my taste but I can see how this can be positive. It’s a plus to be visible in the backcountry, not only for your own party but also for rescue teams in the event of an emergency. Still, don’t be surprised if you attract a little unwelcome attention in a lime yellow jacket; on a hike earlier this spring I was swarmed by bees that thought I was a big juicy flower.
- The front pocket, though great for warming your hands, doesn’t zip closed. Don’t store anything in there you’d lament losing on the trail.
- Doesn’t fit in my back pocket. Maybe you can get it in yours.
All in all I’ve been really pleased with the performance of the SCOTT Euphorbia Anorak jacket and because it’s so light and packable it has found its way into my go-to daypack with my other essentials.
Manufacturer’s Website: www.scott-sports.com
Listed Weight: 400g
Materials: 88% Polyamide, 12% Elastane
Size/Model tested: Size Medium, Regular length
Colors Available: Purple, Tango Red, Lime Yellow
Features: Packs into back pocket [but not really], Elastic cuffs, Fixed adjustable hood