Community

Search and Rescue Patrols Along the I-90 Corridor

Search and Rescue Patrols Along the I-90 Corridor

For SAR members, one of the nice things about RAD is its scheduled SAR participation. Most SAR callouts occur when everyone is settling down, back at home after a day hike or soccer game. That’s when the pager goes off; that’s when they saddle up, pull the boots on, stuff some energy bars in their mouths, and head out to the call.

by April 19, 2011 0 comments Community
Washington Trails Association April Outlook

Washington Trails Association April Outlook

It’s ridiculous how lucky we are to live and backpack in Washington. Really.

by April 1, 2011 0 comments Community
KCSAR Myths

KCSAR Myths

So now you know who they are. They are the people that the news stations refer to when “a search is underway”. They are the[Read More…]

by March 27, 2011 0 comments Community
Things Search and Rescue Wishes We All Knew

Things Search and Rescue Wishes We All Knew

Of course Search and Rescue hopes, as much as you do, that you never have to meet them in the backcountry. Still, once you know[Read More…]

by March 22, 2011 0 comments Community
Stone Palaces – Following Dreams – An Interview with Geof Childs

Stone Palaces – Following Dreams – An Interview with Geof Childs

Whether your passion is weaving, sky diving or climbing, it’s not likely to be your source of income, so you endure the day job in order to love your passion in the off-hours. But there are few lucky souls who can chase their passion first and do it effectively. Geof Childs, Author of Stone Palaces, is one such local adventurer.

by March 1, 2011 0 comments Community
The Noble Fir – A Backpacker’s Retreat

The Noble Fir – A Backpacker’s Retreat

They have one of the largest selections of craft beer (and cider!) on tap with a healthy dose of old world wines as well. The food was introduced to compliment the fermentations. You can get a platter of charcuterie (Dry Cocoa Salami!) and cheese (Triple Cream and Manchego, two of my favorites actually), a steaming mug of soup, or a sandwich (I chose the salmon sandwich with cream cheese and chives, makes me crave one even now).

Inside King County Search and Rescue

Inside King County Search and Rescue

Seattle/King County is bustling with outdoor enthusiasts of all ages throughout the year. With so many people out enjoying nature, it can be an unfortunate reality that accidents occur and people will need help from time to time. That is where the best kept secret in King County comes along: King County Search and Rescue.

Washington Trails Association March Outlook

Washington Trails Association March Outlook

WTA protects hiking trails and wild lands, takes volunteers out to maintain trails, and promotes hiking as a healthy, fun way to explore the outdoors.

Feathered Friends Hyperion Jacket Give Away

Feathered Friends Hyperion Jacket Give Away

Congratulations Christina!

by February 2, 2011 0 comments Community
Seven Summits

Seven Summits

He is a Sherpa, a climber and has seen the summit of Rainier 11 times, and summitted McKinley and Kilimanjaro. He climbed with Sir Edmund Hillary once, even. And through his climbing he has brought much to the people of Nepal.

by February 1, 2011 0 comments Community